Hello again fellow readers! Today, I wanted to share a fantastic summer recipe that I was excited to try -Pistachio Ice Cream. What makes this recipe pretty awesome is not only is the star player one of my favourite nuts, but it also happens to be dairy-free and includes no added sugars, making this a pretty guilt-free dessert! It all started when I recently acquired a Yonanas machine. For those who are wondering what in the world a Yonanas machine is, it essentially converts frozen fruits into a soft-serve ice cream consistency without the need for any cream or sugar (aka the best invention to ever be gifted unto society!!). I was first confused on how a machine could simply turn frozen fruits into something that looked and tasted exactly like ice cream without any cream OR sugar, and the answer to both questions is: bananas. The key is to freeze over-ripe bananas (over-ripe bananas with some black spots on the skin are a lot sweeter than plain yellow ones), and add it to the mixture to provide a natural sweet, creamy flavour. Genius! I could ramble on and on about how wonderful this recipe is, but instead, I’ll let you guys try it and see for yourselves! So without further ado, here’s the Yonanas Pistachio Ice Cream recipe!
-2 frozen over-ripe bananas
-12 oz shelled pistachios (make sure they are plain pistachios without any added salt)
-1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
-1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Peel 2 over-ripe bananas, separate each into 1/4 pieces and let them freeze in the freezer for at least 24 hrs.
- Grind the pistachios in a food processor until they reach a grainy-sand-like texture (you can use a blender instead if you’d like; I used a Vitamix).
3. In a medium saucepan, combine the almond milk and vanilla extract, and slowly incorporate the ground pistachios. Let this mixture come to a simmer and take it off the heat. If you feel like the texture is still a little thick, you can pour it back into the blender until the texture becomes more consistent and smooth.
4. Let the mixture cool down, then fill an ice cube tray and freeze to make frozen pistachio cubes.
5. When ready to make your pistachio ice cream, take out your frozen banana pieces and pistachio cubes and let them thaw for around 5 minutes.
6. Start by first adding in a banana piece into the Yonanas machine, then add 2 pistachio cubes. Alternate until you’ve added in the full 2 bananas and 8 pistachio cubes total. If you would like more pistachio or banana flavour, feel free to add more of either ingredient to your preference. After, mix the 2 ice creams together well until you achieve a consistent, light green colour.
I finished it off with some fresh ground pistachios as a garnish, and it’s ready to eat! This recipe has easily become one of my favourites -pistachio ice cream without any dairy or added sugars, yet tastes equally delicious! Hope you guys enjoy this recipe and happy ice-cream making! 🙂